This photo ca. 1954 shows the few remaining buildings at the Granite Creek townsite. Photo from B.C. Archives.
This photo of a cabin in Granite Creek was taken in 1954. Photo from B.C. Archives.
This photo ca. 1962 shows the plaque placed to commemorate the town of Granite Creek. The cairn was later vandalized and the plaque stolen. The “Friends of Granite Creek” replaced the plaque years later changing the name on the plaque to “Granite City”. This name seems to have sprung up well after the 1907 fire; the Post Office was still called Granite Creek when it closed in 1918.
The buildings at Granite Creek continued to deteriorate as this photo ca. 1970 illustrates. Photo N.L. Barlee
Granite Creek in 1970. The building in the center of this photo is the last remaining, and is shown in the photo below. Photo N.L. Barlee.
By 2007, almost nothing remains standing at Granite Creek. Photo by Bob Sterne.
This building is deteriorating more every year. By 2008, the second story had completely collapsed. Photo by Bob Sterne.
Nature, and people vandalizing the town of Granite Creek have left it in a sad state of repair. 2007 photo by Bob Sterne.
The Granite Creek Cemetery which was also in a terrible state of repair is now being cared for by local volunteers. 2007 photo by Bob Sterne.
Previously unmarked graves have now been marked and a map lays out the location of graves. 2008 photo by Bob Sterne.
The Cook’s were a prominent family in Granite Creek, Coalmont and Princeton in the early years. Their family plot is tenderly cared for and respected by their descendants. 2008 photo by Bob Sterne.
The Granite Creek Campground is a favourite place for campers to stay when visiting the area. 2007 photo by Bob Sterne.